In the blog post State Testing Necessities for Students, I mentioned leaving positive messages to the students.
What are they? and How are they beneficial?
I had seen something about leaving positive messages on the desks using dry erase markers. So I decided to do that for my students.
The students loved the messages. Well, except for one. That student wiped the message off his desk almost immediately.
At the end of the testing period, I washed down the desks with Clorax Wet Wipes. You could not tell the desks had writing on them.
The student who I wrote the message “Let your inner fierceness shine!” loved her message. She was upset when I cleaned up her desk so I had to promise her that I would write a different one during the district testing.
So why is writing those messages on the desks important? Students need to feel valued. Sometimes they come from homes where they don’t hear anything positive.
Another reason it is so important is if students hear something positive and motivating, they will work towards achieving the goals set forth by the teacher, them, or the teacher and them together.
It builds rapport between the teacher and student.
In this day and age, there has been so much violence in our schools. I don’t remember having this much violence when I was growing up. It may have been there but with social media being so in our face, the numbers are staggering on how much violence we are seeing in the schools. If we as teachers can make one connection with a student, that connection may mean the student not following a path of violence. Those motivational words on their day may let them know there is someone who cares about me and my future. You may be the person who turns that student’s life around.
Where can you find some inspirational quotes to write on the desks?
You can certainly write your own. All of mine said “Rock the Test!” and something personal to the student.
However you can use Google to help you come up with some quotes.
When I Googled Disney inspirational quotes, here are five links I found.
- Inspirational Quotes from Disney Princesses – My favorite is from Tiana. “The only way to get what you want in this world is through hard work.”
- Inspirational Quotes for Kids – My favorite is “You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne/Christopher Robin.
- Great Quotes for Kids – “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
- Inspirational Quotes for Kids – 33 of them – “You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” – Dr. Seuss
- Connections Academy – “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” Margaret Fuller
You can also look on Pinterest to help you find quotes.